Australian Embassy

Instructions for a PC7

Applying for an Australian passport: instructions for a PC7

Completing an application form

PC7 application form is used when you renew your normal valid passport (or expired less than 2 years).

Completing your application electronically

Only completed applications can be printed  from the website

Appointment for a passport interview

Appointments for a passport interview can be made online at

Lodging your Passport application

The application must be lodged in person at the Embassy.

When you renew your passport, you will need to present your valid or expired passport at the interview. It will be given back to you on the day.

Confirming your Citizenship

You will not be required to present any document.

Name Change (including after marriage)

For any name change in your passport, please refer to a PC8 application form


Check the photo guidelines on for the right size and required quality the photos requested. We are not in a position to recommend any specific photo shops.

It is best to remove your glasses for the passport photo, even if you wear them at all times.

Photos will need to be less than six months old.


You will not require a guarantor to endorse or sign one of your photos.

Passport Fees

Payment must be made by credit card in Australian Dollars. Refer to passport fees listed on Australian Passport Information Page for the current fees.

Identification for Adults

You will not be required to present any forms of identification.

Proof of current residence

You will not be required to present any document proving your place of residence.

Documents for Children’s passport applications

Children passport can only be processed on the basis of PC8 application forms.

Collection of your passport

Once we receive the passport from Australia, we will either advise you by telephone than you can collect it from the Embassy.

You can authorise someone (aged 18 years or over) of your choice to collect the passport on your behalf (with an ID photo and an authorisation document signed by yourself).

Travelling with your Australian passport

Australian citizens who are dual nationals are required to depart and enter Australia on their Australian passport.

An Australian citizen cannot enter Australia in a foreign passport.

Some foreign governments require visitors to carry passports with at least six months validity beyond their planned stay, and you may be refused entry if you do not comply.

Well before you travel, you should check the entry requirements of the countries you plan to visit or transit.

Contact the foreign diplomatic and consular representatives of the country you wish to visit, or seek advice from your travel agent or visit Smartraveller for further information (

Lost, Stolen or Damaged Passport

If your passport is lost, stolen or damaged, you will need to use a PC7 application form.

Specific processing times and appropriate fees may apply.


PC7 checklist

  • Your application
  • Your Previous passport
  • Your two ID-Photo (less than six months old) as per photo guidelines
  • Your payment by credit card only for the relevant passport fee
  • Your chronopost envelope (or similar) to send you the passport by mail, if required.