Australian Embassy

Instructions for a PC8

Applying for an Australian passport: instructions for a PC8

Completing an application form

PC8 application form is used when you apply for a first passport, an emergency passport, a concurrent passport; replace your damaged passport and also when you renew your normal passport when this one has expired over 3 years.

Completing your application electronically

Only completed applications can be printed (in black or in colour) from the website It is not possible to print a blank form . Simply answer the questions on the web site and print the completed form at the end of the procedure.

If you completed the application form online, you can amend the form and re-print the relevant page by using the provided access code.

Please use a blackpen and never use correction fluid or similar products on a passport application form as it will invalidate that section of the form. You will have to complete another form.

Appointment for a passport interview

Appointments for a passport interview can be made online at

Lodging your Passport application

The application must be lodged in person at the Embassy.

When you renew your passport, you will need to present your valid or expired passport at the interview. It will be given back to you on the day.

From 1 January 2016, children of the age of 16 and 17 will need to be present at the passport interview with one of their parents’.

When you renew your passport, you will need to present your previous passport at the interview. It will be cancelled and returned to you.

Confirming your Australian Citizenship

Your proof of citizenship is your Australian birth Certificate or citizenship Certificate.

All supporting documents provided must be original.

If born Overseas — you must provide an Australian Citizenship certificate or extract from the Register of Citizenship by decent. Also a foreign birth certificate (with translation if not in English) for proof of gender and birth place.

If you were born in Australia before 20 August 1986 — an Australian birth certificate.

If you were born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 — An Australian birth certificate plus an Australian passport issued after 01/01/2000 and valid for at least two years; or an Australian birth certificate plus proof that one parent was an Australian Citizen or permanent resident at the time of the applicant’s birth (e.g. one parent’s Australian passport issued before the applicant’s birth, or a citizenship certificate issued before the applicant’s birth, or a full Australian birth certificate for one parent, or proof of their permanent resident status at the time of the applicant’s birth).

The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for citizenship matters — see their website for more information (documents

Name Change

Name change documents need to be provided if the name to go in your new passport is different from your Australian birth certificate name or Australian citizenship certificate name. Australian passports are issued in the name at birth (for citizens born in Australia) or the name at citizenship (for citizens born outside Australia).

You can change your name in your passport only if you show government issued name change documentation, such as a marriage certificate or official name change document. Please see Passports Online for detailed information about accepted name change documentation.

Please note: Non-Australian marriage certificates and non-Australian change of name certificates can only be used to change a name in an Australian passport if:

  • The document was issued after the applicant became an Australian citizen, and
  • The document has been “legalised” by the appropriate authority from the country in which it was issued.
  • A full application form PC8 is required to be completed to apply for a passport to be issued in your new name.

For information on how your foreign document can be legalised, you should contact the relevant government authority, Consulate-General, High Commission or Embassy for the country in which the document was issued.

Change my name after marriage

The requirements are different if you were:

  1. a) married in Australia,
  2. b) born in Australia and married outside Australia
  3. c) born outside Australia.

Depending on your circumstances the requirements are listed below:

  1. ‘Married in Australia’ — If you were married in Australia then you will need to obtain an official marriage certificate from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state where you were married. The certificate provided by the marriage celebrant is not sufficient evidence for a change of name.
  2. ‘Born in Australia and married outside Australia’ — If you were born in Australia but were married overseas, you will need to apply to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state where you were born for a change of name certificate or for an amendment to your birth certificate.
  3. ‘Born outside Australia’ — If you were not born in Australia and were married overseas you can provide an official marriage certificate from the country where you were married. This certificate must be provided by the equivalent of the Births, Deaths and Marriage registry. You must obtain an apostille on the multilingual original document (from the mairie) or on the original French version with an original English translation done by a sworn translator.


Check the photo guidelines on for the right size and required quality the photos requested. We are not in a position to recommend any specific photo shops.

It is best to remove your glasses for the passport photo, even if you wear them at all times. Photos will need to be less than six months old.


The Guarantor (who needs to be over 18 years of age and not related to the applicant or living at the same address, must have known the applicant for at least 12 months (or since birth if the child is under 12 months old) and can either be a current Australian passport holder with a valid passport or a non-Australian who is currently employed in one of the occupation groups, please refer to guarantor listing on the main menu of Passport Information Page.

The Guarantor needs to write on the back of one photo “This is a true photo of “applicant name” and signed underneath.

The guarantor needs to provide a valid phone number and be contactable during office hours.

Passport Fees

Payment can only be made by international credit card in Australian dollars. Refer to passport fees listed on Australian Passport Information Page for the current fees (fees can be adjusted on the 1st of each month due to exchange rate fluctuations).

Priority processing service is not available in Rabat

Identification for Adults

Do not complete section 16 if your driving licence has expired.

At the time of the interview, you will need to present correct Identification documents such as Foreign Passport, Titre de séjour, Identification Card (carte d’identité), driving licence (permits de conduire), credit card.

Proof of current residence

Address in passport, copy of utility bills

Documents for Children’s passport applications

Full birth certificate for the child (with official translation if not in English).

Both parents to sign the consent under Section 15.

Witness for both parents’ consent must not be related or living in same household as either parent.

Lodging parent to sign and date declaration at Section 17 (on behalf of child).

Children aged 10 and over must sign Section 18.

Name change documentation for a child must be provided if current name is different to birth name.

Name change documentation for parents must be provided if mother’s current name differs from child’s birth certificate – e.g. marriage certificate for mother.

From 1 January 2016, children of the age of 16 and 17 will need to be present at the passport interview with one of their parents.

Identification for the lodging parent must be provided.

Either parent can lodge the passport application for a child. There is no requirement for the lodging parent to be an Australian citizen

The second parent if not in Morocco can provide their consent for the application at the nearest Australian Passport Office in Australia, or at any Australian Embassy

Where a person with parental responsibility cannot, or does not, provide consent a passport can still be issued in some limited circumstances. As requirements are strict, it is likely that the application will be subject to lengthy delays.

Collection of your passport

Once we receive the passport from Australia, we will either advise you by telephone than you can collect it from the Embassy during normal office hours.

Travelling with your Australian passport 

Australian citizens who are dual nationals are required to depart and enter Australia on their Australian passport.

An Australian citizen cannot enter Australia on a foreign passport.

Some foreign governments require visitors to carry passports with at least six months validity beyond their planned stay, and you may be refused entry if you do not comply.

Well before you travel, you should check the entry requirements of the countries you plan to visit or transit.

Contact the foreign diplomatic and consular representatives of the country you wish to visit, or seek advice from your travel agent or visit Smartraveller for further information (

Lost or Stolen Passport.

If your passport is lost or stolen while travelling in Morocco please proceed to the Australian Embassy in Rabat to complete a PC8 passport application form in order to apply for a provisional travel document.

Specific processing times and appropriate fees may apply.